An Update

2016 is off to a good start (high fives)! Our concrete work is finished for our house so we can take a bit of a breather on that, and we have gravel in the greenhouse!

The fall, into Christmas, was pleasantly warm, and great for the garden, and building. The new pup and Kekule are getting along great. We are hoping to have our greenhouse enclosed to start seeds in the next two weeks!

Concrete Work - Pouring the Floor

The pump truck returned for the floor pour, along with a team of guys who specialize in concrete floors. It was a chilly day, and the concrete for the floor was mixed with an addative and hot water to speed the curing process. 

After smoothing the just poured concrete and a couple of hours literally watching concrete dry, the guys got to work again. This time they were using buffers with floats on the bottom to buff the floor into is finished smooth surface. They ran two machines for a couple of hours until the floor was totally hard. the result is a beautiful smooth marbled looking surface for our basement floor!

In-Floor Plumbing and Radient Heating

Gravel was laid down between all the footers and laid the base for our in-floor systems. In the photo below David is putting the air intake through a sleeve in the footer. This will eventually feed fresh air to our wood stove.

It took two full days to install our plumbing and radon vent systems (not to mention the weeks of planning and getting advice from the building inspector). After our plumbing was pressure tested, and inspected, it was covered with gravel to be made ready for insulation and heating tubes.  

David designed, and spearheaded the project for our radient floor heating. It took another two full days to install this system. We started by laying down an airtight vapor barrier over the gravel. This included rubber gaskets around each fixture coming from the gravel. On top of this barrier we laid polystyrene insulation. The insulation boards were cut around the footers (because the footer need to bear the weight of the house). Steel mesh was laid on 'crutches' over all of the floor to strengthen the concrete, as well as to hold our hot water tubing in the middle of the floor. Spacing was then measured out, and a separate loop was created with tubing for each room in our basement. The loops all connect to a beautiful manifold in our eventual mechanical room. 

Concrete Work - Footers and Walls

To get the concrete in for our house before the raw hole in the ground got to soggy (fall/winter is not the best time of year to build!) we hired a professional. He came with a crew and a pump truck, and all of our concrete was in before Thanksgiving. Whew! 

First, our footers were framed out to level, and then they were dug to the correct depth. The footers will support all of the load bearing walls, posts, and chimney within the house. 

To get the footers poured, a pump truck came out. This took all of about 20 minutes once the concrete arrived. 

Once the footers were poured and leveled rebar was inserted to come up out of the concrete vertically. The following week, The guys came back with frames for pouring our walls. The frames were built up, and rebar woven all inside the frames. The bathroom Window was framed out within the frame, and sleeves were put through the walls for our water and electric supplies. The frames came off of the 'green' concrete the day after pouring, and a waterproofing tar was applied by spray, followed by insulation in the form of rigid foam. 

Excavation of our House Site

Fall was beautiful here in Nelson, and it seemed to never end! We started excavation for our house in early November. 

On the first day, we had the rough outline of the hole for our basement completed. 

At the end of two days, our basement was dug! Check out those nice square corners. Now it is on to the concrete!